- 1 cup uncooked green lentils
- 2 cups veggie stock or water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced small
- 1 small carrot, diced small
- 1 stalk celery, diced small
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 cup good red wine. (If you wouldn’t drink it, don’t cook with it.)
- 8 oz pasta. Choose your fav!
Note: You can also enjoy the bolognese over zucchini noodles, or—as I did in the picture—over a bed of lettuce if you’re not feeling carby. You do you.
In a medium sauce pan, heat oil on medium-high. Saute the onion, garlic, celery and carrot for approximately 7-10 minutes.
Add stock, lentils, oregano, basil, salt, tomatoes and tomato paste. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 45 minutes.
Once lentils have been simmering for about 30 minutes, add the wine and continue simmering. Now is a good time to bring a pot of water to boil for your pasta. Prepare the pasta as directed.
Remove from heat and let sit for 10 minutes so all of the flavors meld. By now your pasta should be done too. Plate up your bolognese over pasta or however you like.