I have a major thing for massaged kale. Why? Aside from being delicious, it’s a fun hands-on dish, and my hands always feel extra soft when I’m done, thanks to all of those nice oils. Once massaged, kale turns from tough and bitter to silky and sweet- but who doesn’t after a good massage? It almost seems wilted. The reason this happens is because as you rub-a-dub, you’re actually breaking down the veggie’s tough cellulose structure. Science!
Why sunny? Because I use sunflower seeds AND sundried tomato for a one-two punch of sunny goodness. Now this is important: don’t be stingy with your massage technique. You really need to get in there and squeeze, sort of like you’re kneading dough.
Below is the recipe for my super sexy, super sunny massaged kale salad. That’s a whole lot of super!
Note: This serves 2 as a side, or 1 as a main.
Super Sunny Massaged Kale Salad
Time: 10 minutes | Serves: 2
You will need:
– 1 large bunch of curly kale, washed and torn into bite sized pieces
– Juice of 1 medium lime, or ½ a large lime
– 1 medium avocado, or 1/2 a large avocado
– 2 teaspoons flax oil. If you don’t like the flavor of flax, use sesame or just some EVOO
– ½ cup shredded purple cabbage
– ½ cup sun dried tomato, rough chopped
– 2 tablespoons toasted sunflower seeds
– ½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
– pinch of salt
1. Put your kale, avocado, lime and oil in a bowl and massage with your hands for 5-7 minutes. The more you massage, the further broken down (and delicious!) your kale will get. Lick, er, wash your hands of their avocado mess and proceed to step 2.
2. Stir in salt, pepper, sunflower seeds, sun dried tomato and cabbage and enjoy!