It’s 2015! Hoorah! As everyone scuttles around renewing gym memberships and promising to make good on their resolutions this year, you should consider getting in the kitchen to make some soup. This southwest style black bean soup is equal parts simple and satisfying. Enjoy with tortilla chips and a fuckload of guac!
Southwest Style Black Bean Soup
Serves: 4 | Cook Time: 40 Minutes
You will need:
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil of choice
- 4 cups of cooked black beans
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 cup frozen or fresh corn kernels
- 1 sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 14oz can diced tomatoes
- 2.5 cups water or veggie broth
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 – 2 fresh chili peppers, seeded and diced (more or less to spice preference)
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- Avocado and vegan sour cream for topping (optional)
- Lime wedges for serving
- In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, heat oil and saute onion for 1-2 minutes, or until transluscent.
- Add black beans, tomato, sweet pepper, water or broth, chili pepper and cumin.
- Bring to boil, lower heat and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Add lime juice, corn and salt and simmer additional 5 minutes
- Remove from heat, let sit for 5 minutes. If using, top individual bowls with avocado slices, vegan sour cream and lime. I also dashed my finished bowl with a squirt of Sriracha, because I love the stuff. Enjoy!