Can’t decide between mexican and indian? Why not have both! This recipe for lentil dal tacos fuses two of my favorite ever foods. The added molasses gives it an extra interesting twist by providing a deep sweetness that will have you scraping the pot.
Sweet and Spicy Lentil Dal Tacos
Serves: 4 | Time: 45 minutes
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup brown lentils, uncooked
1 onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbs fresh ginger, minced
2 tablespoons molasses
1 tablespoon cumin
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper (more or less to taste)
1 teaspoon turmeric
½ teaspoon sea salt
2 ½ cups water
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
½ cup corn kernels, fresh or frozen
1 cup chopped cauliflower
1 cups chopped tomato
For crema topping:
½ cup vegan sour cream
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
12 corn tortillas
3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- Heat olive oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add onion, ginger, cayenne, cumin, turmeric, salt, and garlic and saute for 3 minutes.
- Add cauliflower, tomatoes and molasses, saute for 2 minutes.
- Add lentils and water, bring to a boil.
- Reduce to medium heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add corn and lime juice and cook 5 more minutes.
To make crema:
Mix vegan sour cream with cayenne pepper, lime juice and cumin.
Heat tortillas in oven or flame each individually over stove-top burner. Add lentils, top with crema and optional cilantro. Enjoy!