Happy holidays folks! Hanukkah is over, and Christmas is just a wee bit away. Right now, I am missing the bit of my family that lives in Hawaii. (Hi, mom!!!) So, because I relate everything to food (Must.Eat.Feelings), I made these Island-style mashed sweet potatoes. Feel free to try this recipe for your family or just make for yourself. Enjoy!
Island-Style Mashed Sweet Potatoes
Time: 45 minutes/ Serves: 4
You will need:
– 2 big ass sweet potatoes or yams, peeled and halved.
– 3 tablespoons coconut manna. (Not oil! Manna.This stuff is so delicious I can’t handle it.)
– 1/2 cup fresh squozen OJ.
– ½ tbs cinnamon
– 1tsp ground ginger
– ¼ tsp nutmeg
– Bring large pot of water to boil. Add potatoes and boil until tender, approximately 15 minutes.
– Drain your potatoes and return to pot. Add your coconut manna, and allow to melt for 30 seconds or so. Add spices, With an immersion blender, begin to blend. If you don’t have an immersion blender, you can use a masher or any other hand mixer. But immersion blenders are far superior!
– Once the melted manna is well incorporated, add the citrus juice and finish blending. The reason you add the juice last is because it will cook the taters, and then the manna won’t melt right and you will end up with coconut chunks throughout. This is actually delicious but looks sort of sloppy.
Okay, eat the potatoes from the pot. Or be classy and serve it up right like I tried to to above. Whatever…